Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic
Department of Pennsylvania
A Brief History
On November 30, 1881, an Executive Committee of five ladies met in Trenton, New Jersey for the purpose of organizing a State Department of Aid Societies. This meeting was in compliance with General Order No. 14 issued by Department of New Jersey Commander C. H. Houghton of the Grand Army of the Republic. The plan of the meeting was to formulate for the society such rules and regulations necessary for a perfect and uniform code in all work tending to benefit the Grand Army of the Republic.